Electric Studio [Jackson, MS]
American, active 1900s-1940sNo Gender (Business or Collective)
The Electric Studio of Jackson, Mississippi was established as early as 1909, when Newton L. Wingo advertised that he was making the finest photographic post cards in town (6 for 50 cents) and offering cabinet cards (6 for $2). This first iteration of the studio was short-lived, as Wingo moved back to his native Alabama. The name re-appeared in advertisements in June of 1921 with the tag-line of "Nuff Sed". An August 28, 1922 report states that the studio provided "in remarkably quick order" sensational photographs of the "disastrous truck wreck of the Jackson Fire Department" which had happened the previous day. In that incident, two firemen died, one was severely injured, and three parked cars as well as the $13,000 fire truck were destroyed. It was alleged that the driver had seen and waved at his wife, causing him to lose control of the speeding truck, and her to witness her 22 year old husband's death. The exhibition at the Majestic Theatre was advertised for several days in Jackson and Vicksburg papers. In 1932 the studio moved to a new location, but by the following year ads indicated that it was "back at the old stand" (112 East Capitol Street). Also in 1933, Electric Studio began offering 8 x 10" portraits, tinted and in a folder ($1). The studio was managed by Arthur V. Haydon until his death in March, 1940, when his wife Weenona took over. The nearly daily advertisements in the Clarion Ledger dwindled by 1943, and ceased altogether in 1947.
Electric Studio [Jackson, MS] has 2 locations.
Studio or Business (1921-1947)
112 East Capitol Street
Studio or Business (1932)
117 West Capitol Street