WThe New York Public Library  /  Photographers’ Identities Catalog
PIC ID: 331072

American Stereoscopic Co.

American, active 1850s-1860s

No Gender (Business or Collective)

View raw data

The American Stereoscopic Co. was established by Langenheim, Lloyd & Co. in Philadelphia about 1858. A newspaper ad in Rock Island, Illinois in May of 1859 mentions the American Stereoscopic Co. of New York and Philadelphia. The name did not appear in Philadelphia directories until 1861, and was not found in New York directories until the 1890s. According to Photographydatabase.com, the firm was bought out by a partner, A. Watson, in 1864 and moved to New York. The company remained in Philadelphia, however, into 1866. After that point, neither the Langenheims nor the company were listed in Philadelphia directories, and the company were found in New York directories until the 1890s. According to the National Stereoscopic Association, the latter company is of no relation to the Langenheim company.

Roles performed

Processes used

Found in collections

Data from

Locations

American Stereoscopic Co. has 4 locations.

Studio or Business (1857)

188 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA
USA

Studio or Business (1858)

351 Broadway
New York, NY
USA

Studio or Business (1858-1866)

722 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA
USA

Studio or Business (1869)

1341 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA
USA